Writing is Soooo Easy


A Disclaimer

My house is a wreck. For a week now I've had a crew of very nice gentlemen with sledge hammers and tile saws. They have demolished all my ceramic tile floors. My asthma doctor would be aghast at the constant cloud of smashed tile and grout dust that lingers in my once beautiful home. To me it's as problematic as a cloud of radioactive fallout from a nuclear attack. In fact, I kind of feel like I've been nuked!

So what good is a great case of crankiness unless you can vent on assorted and sundry unconnected things.

Fallout in Progress

If we writers had commercials, we could have those sensitive neanderthals bemoan an advertisement from a fatuous individual saying: Writing is so easy a cave man could do it!

Just came across several of those sites. You probably know the kind I mean. Don't ask me why, but I made a list, laughing maniacally all the while.

How to Write a Book in 7 Simple Steps is another example of why everyone thinks books can be written as soon as you have some spare time. In fact, that's the sub-heading for this article: Write a book in your spare time.

Here's another with 7 Steps.

4 Easy Ways to Get a Book Written is by a woman who wrote a book on how to hire a ghostwriter - obviously one of the ways, huh?

Uh oh. This guy is more realistic. Well, compared to the others. He takes 28 Days.

Voice of Reason

Now to be fair, I'm sure the website where some of these books and articles appear is a lovely and intellectual site run by lovely intellectuals. I did see listings of books and articles with titles about writing better, not just writing fast.

I'll have to ask my 25-year-old former banker which of these books he's read because he's writing a novel too. In between bouts of playing Halo 2, 3, or 34, whatever Halo version is currently popular.

2 comments:

  1. I've been enjoying your saga of renovations. Possibly because it is happening to you and not to me. Although, I really do need new floors. :-)

    But I had to laugh out loud at this post. There are so many experts out there telling folks how to write, it is beyond redundant.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I have been released from remodeling hell. The new floors are beautiful but I'm completely exhausted. Writing IS easy...compared to living with remodeling in progress.

    ReplyDelete