Unpublished Manuscripts: 2 of 5

I have a correction to the information from Jim Hines which was published yesterday. Jim's book Goblin Quest was published by DAW, not Five Star. I apologize for this mistake.

Today, I welcome Dale Thompson writing as Pat Dale, Mardi Ballou, and Donna Maloy to help us Sling Words. These three published authors will tackle the issue of what to do with unpublished manuscripts. Keep? Toss? Bonfire?

Dale Thompson writes mystery, suspense, and romance as Pat Dale. She's the author of a psychological suspense, Crossed Lines, out October 1 from Firedrakes Weyr Press.

Do you have manuscripts that didn't sell?

I have six other completed manuscripts, two of which I’m actively submitting as we speak, and four more that could be ready with a little more work. One of them is my first book, a massive 566 pages long. It breaks down into two books nearly equal in size but will probably only get published if I become well-known as a published author. One can only hope.

Do you have them as a saved file? A hard copy manuscript? Or both?

I have older versions of several of these in hard copy, buried low on one of my bookshelves - good only for historical review should I become another Mark Twain. LOL. The others are stored in my hard drive and on thumb drives. Now if I can only remember to put those things in my pocket if we ever have a tornado! Living here in Missouri, that is my worst fear when it comes to losing my work. That and fire. Thumb drives are amazing, I think, and so easy to use and store in safe places.

Mardi Ballou is the author of What's a Ghoul to Do?, A Fangly, My Dear story, e-released August 26 by Samhain Publishing with a print version coming soon.

How many manuscripts do you have that didn't sell?

Completed manuscripts? Two - and I'll add the word "yet" because, after much revision, there's one I'm trying to sell right now.

Do you have them as a saved file? A hard copy manuscript? Or both?

Both are saved files; I also have a hard copy of one.

If hard copy, where do you store them?

In a binder on a very dusty bookshelf.

Donna Maloy is published in romance, but her books are presently out of print. After pursuing and obtaining her MFA, she's again writing fiction of the paranormal persuasion.

How many manuscripts do you have that didn't sell?

Five full, a dozen partials and at least a gazillion in plot notes.

Do you have them as a saved file? A hard copy manuscript? Or both?

Both.

If hard copy, where do you store them?

Large file box.

Tune in tomorrow when our guest authors will be Vicky Burkholder, Nancy Haddock, and Susan Lyons.

Takeaway Truth

Hope springs eternal in an author's heart. We never really give up on a manuscript - even when we say we do. We all tend to view our unpublished creations as not only a learning experience but also as inventory.

No comments:

Post a Comment