Unpublished Manuscripts: 5 of 5

Today is the last day of this Special Report. Tomorrow, I'll publish a recap with some more suggestions on how to store old, so far unsold, manuscripts.

Welcome today's authors: Jamie Leigh Hansen, L. C. Hayden, P. J. Mellor, and Maryann Miller.

Jamie Leigh Hansen is the author of Cursed, a Paranormal Romance coming from Tor, December 2, 2008. (ISBN-10: 0765357216 and ISBN-13: 978-0765357212)

How many manuscripts do you have that didn't sell?

I've had one manuscript, a lot of partial manuscripts, that I've not even submitted. But even with a partial story, the pages and notes and files pile up. I save everything since pages can be easily ruined and files in outdated programs can become corrupt or inaccessible. My full manuscript is in the attic, with all its pages and a disk with the files on it. Two other good-size manuscripts were appropriated by my daughters, and I don't know where to find them. *LOL*

But I think even published manuscripts pile up the papers and files. I have binders and Rubbermaid tubs for each of my published books. Betrayed is on a shelf in all its various versions and from from Binder to ARC to finished copy. Cursed is mostly in a closet. *LOL*

My writing is all over my house. One of these days it would be good to have a large shelf of tubs I could access any time I wanted to. Filing cabinets don't work for me, so binders and tubs are perfect.

L. C. Hayden is the author of Why Casey Had to Die, a mystery from Five Star, and Bell Shaped Flowers, an inspirational to be released Fall 2008.

How many manuscripts do you have that didn't sell?

Four. I never tried to sell them. I took one out to see what it was like, and I’m glad I never tried to sell it. I just wasn’t ready.

Do you have them as a saved file? A hard copy manuscript? Or both?

This is way before computers (gasp! Did I just reveal my age???) so they’re all hard copies.

If hard copy, where do you store them?

Right behind my writing desk, I have four file cabinets. I have them filed under My Writing: Unpublished. So glad I have my own writing office here at home.

P.J. Mellor is the author of Drive Me Wild, Kensington Aphrodisia, January 2009, (ISBN 978-0-7582-2024-0).

How many manuscripts do you have that didn't sell?

Seven!

Do you have them as a saved file? A hard copy manuscript? Or both?

I have at least SIX disks with my very first book on it - I was so paranoid in those days! I also found about 4 hard copies of it when we moved two years ago - and tossed them. Hey, I have MANY disks! I last counted two or three copies of each of the other unsold manuscripts (hard copy)- except the last two, which are only on disk - as well as at least one disk for each book.

If hard copy, where do you store them?

Anywhere I can find space! I have the remaining hard copies stored in the bottom of my storage closet in my office - and one boxed copy of that first book (I’m sure I would cringe if I re-read it now!) on the shelf in the closet of a guest room. I tell my husband paper makes for good extra insulation - along with fabric! - so it is serving a purpose.

Maryann Miller is the author of One Small Victory from Five Star/Gale.

How many manuscripts do you have that didn't sell?

Including short stories and screenplays I have over 30.

Do you have them as a saved file? A hard copy manuscript? Or both?

Some of the manuscripts are saved on disk, but there are a lot that are in hard copy only.

If hard copy, where do you store them?

The hard copies are stored in boxes in corners of my office and in the closet. If I had to use this closet for anything else, I would be in deep trouble. :-)

Many thanks to Jamie Leigh Hansen, L. C. Hayden, P. J. Mellor, and Maryann Miller for visiting today. Come back tomorrow for the summation.

Takeaway Truth

The talent of all the published authors who shared their thoughts this week is equaled by their generosity.

2 comments:

  1. I love these series! Thank you so much for sharing. When you see a book on a shelf it's hard to remember all the work that's gone into that perfection. It's always good to remember that every author has to grow, and that all those books at the store only came after hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. I just love hearing authors' stories. They're all different, yet, at the same time similar.

    ReplyDelete