Matchmaking for Entrepreneurs


I'm getting tired of hearing about our declining economy. Here in Texas, where most major cities have economies tied to oil and gas and the products made from them, the news hasn't been good. I just hate to hear about layoffs that always seem to come at Christmas.

Better Way

A lot of people think there has to be a better way to make a living than being tied to the fortunes of a corporation. Many dream of being their own boss. As a writer, I've been my own boss for more than 20 years. I'm so irascible I probably couldn't be anyone's employee. I don't know that I'd recommend anyone looking for self-employment to try writing, but there are other opportunities that might work for someone who dreams of being his or her own boss.

My Franchise Path

Starting a franchise business is one way. According to a business article I read, franchise fees are dropping along with the rest of the economy. If you ever thought of doing this, I found a website that matches people to their best franchise opportunity. They're kind of matchmakers for entrepreneurs.

At this site, you can search by industry or by investment amount. Each listing gives you the cash requirements and investment range so you know in advance if it fits your budget.

Due Diligence

In addition to offering free consultation, the site has articles you can read to educate yourself about what you're getting into. You must, of course, do your own due diligence to make sure you know what you're doing, including any risks involved.

I didn't know it, but a dry cleaning franchise is apparently the easiest way to own your own business because it has a very low start-up cost. That probably explains why every corner seems to have a dry cleaners in my neighborhood, and they all seem to be successful.

The site is a franchise broker with experienced people you can use to find the best opportunity, based on your individual profile, for you. And, like I said, it's free consultation.

Takeaway Truth

I love being self-employed, but it isn't for everyone. However, if it's something you dream about, research the business that interests you.

No comments:

Post a Comment