3 Hot Drinks For Cold Weather

Since the whole country seems to be locked in a freezer, let's all make a kettle of a warm, soothing beverage.

3 Hot Drinks For Cold Evenings

Spiced Cranberry-Apple Punch

Adjust the quantities depending on how much you want to make.

Into a saucepan, pour 2 same-size bottles of juice -- 1 apple and 1 cranberry. Add the peel of 1 orange, a few cinnamon sticks, and a few cloves if you like that taste.

Bring to a simmer. At this point you can serve it then reduce the heat to keep it warm. If you'd like to kick it up a notch, add a shot of any of these liqueurs: Frangelico, Amaretto, Cherry liqueur, applejack, brandy, or rum. The quantity depends on the quantity of juice you've used.

Old Fashioned Cocoa

I think the best cocoa is the recipe on the back of the can of Hershey's Cocoa Powder. You'll need the cocoa powder, milk, sugar, and a dash of salt. Make a cup or a batch using that recipe. When you bring it to a simmer, add a splash of heavy cream, stir. Turn heat off and add a splash of Kahlua. Again, adjust the splashes based on the quantity of beverage you made. Top with a big marshmallow.

Irish Coffee

Irish Coffee is my all time favorite. To make 4 cups, brew some strong coffee. Pour into cups and add 1 jigger of Irish Whiskey (I like Old Bushmills.). Stir, top each cup with a nice dollop of whipped cream. You can sprinkle with cinnamon and/or nutmeg if you like. I don't.

Takeaway Truth

Sipping hot beverages is a tried and true way to feel warm during the winter.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks. Although I am in sunny Florida, this looks like a great recipe anytime. I like to drink my 2nd morning coffee with a dash of cayenne and a dash of cinnamon.

    My eBook The Greek Seaman is free today if you want a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazon is charging $2.99 for The Greek Seaman but I found it at http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/21046 for free.

    Thank you, Jacqueline. I've only read 1.5 chapters, but it's off to a good start, and that's always promising.

    You may have just cleverly tricked me into looking for and buying other books you have written! You're a dangerous woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Jacqueline! Cayenne and cinnamon? Caffeine, heat, and spice. Nice combo. I'm in what should be sunny Texas, up in the Hill Country today. Temp? A balmy 24 with a strong north wind.

    Thanks for the tip about your book. Harl is correct. Kindle shows it for $2.99 so I'll use the link he provided and check Smashwords.

    Let me know if it will still be free on Saturday. If so, I'll post a tip on that day on my other blog JoanSlingsWords.com. On Saturdays, I usually post eBook reviews or news. Also let me know if you make it free on Kindle since that's the biggest market share.

    Harl, thanks for that link. I love it when I hear about a free book. I'll credit you for the link if I end up mentioning it on Saturday. BTW how's the weather in your part of the country?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fairly nice out here in Lancaster PA this afternoon, considering what might have gotten. It's nice right now, but as soon as the sun goes down, we'll have a thin sheet of ice on the pavement. Drat.

    What's more, the groundhog slept in yesterday, so sadly, we're in for six more weeks of turmoil in Cairo. Double drat.

    ReplyDelete