Life Sucks Sometimes

On the first page of my latest romantic comedy, Romeo and Judy Anne, the heroine Judy Anne Palmer thinks: "Life sucks."

You see, she is beset by life problems. Kind of like all of us. I was reminded of those words I'd written on the first page just this weekend. In case you think it's rather arrogant to quote a character from a book I wrote, I'll now quote an early 20th century writer Elbert Hubbard who had written a noted piece on the sinking of the Titanic. Ironically, Mr. Hubbard and his wife died on the Lusitania, when it was sunk in the Irish Sea by a German u-boat.

Mr. Hubbard said: "Life is just one damned thing after another."

A lot of people have voiced the same sentiments in much the same way over the years. I often quote one of my favorite poets Edna St. Vincent Millay, who said: "It's not true that life is one damn thing after another; it is one damn thing over and over."

My Weekend

My lousy weekend began with rushing my daughter to the ER Friday night. She and I are home again now. This was just the latest. I wish I could take all of her problems on myself and spare her. I could handle it much better than I handle watching her suffer. I must say that I have the bravest daughter in the world. She's simply amazing. She's already bouncing back. Me? Well, ask me in a couple of days after I've had some sleep.

This next week will be another round of doctors rather than writing. That's probably good because I doubt I could write a funny line if someone threatened to shoot me if I didn't cough one up.

In case you are one of the eager readers just waiting for Old Enough To Know Better, my next romance, be patient. It will come sometime in the next couple of months--just not by the end of this month.

If you're a blog reader, also be patient. I'll see if I can schedule some interesting posts for you to read. I may not be around for a few days to field questions or comments, but I'll get back to you as soon as I get all this sorted out and a sense of normalcy returns to my life.

Takeaway Truth

I--and my entire family--could use at least a few months of boring, placid, non-eventful life.

5 comments:

  1. Edna was a very smart lady.

    Hang in there, Joan. Sometimes all you can do is deal with one crisis at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter got her resiliency from you, Joan. Now get some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candles lit and sending hugs. Hope you and your family are getting some rest and relief!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad Adina's bouncing back. Now, Mama, it's time for you to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzan, Pat, Barbara, and Cheryl ... Thank you for your good wishes. It's been a rough week.

    Best wishes,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete