Enforced Vacation

Earl Wilson said: "A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you've been taking."

In a way, that quotation describes my last two weeks. I had to take a vacation because I could no longer taken what I'd been taking, i.e., working through injuries.

Hand injuries and the severely cut fingertip two weeks ago really put a crimp in my writing plans. Even though I can finally type with all fingers and thumbs, the cut finger is still unbelievably sensitive. Every time I come to a letter that requires that finger, I've learned to gingerly press the key which works to get me back in the game.

Plan B

So I've had an enforced vacation from writing. However, that doesn't mean I've been sitting around an eating bon bons and watching soaps--well, substitute Butterfinger miniatures for bon bons and DVR'd programs for soaps, and I'll confess to a bit of those two activities.

For the most part though, I've been putting my house in order--literally. We helped our daughter move into her new town home, taking all the furniture and household items we'd stored for her. All that means that we got out house back so we're trying to put it back into pre-adult-daughter-move-in status.

Something else I've been doing as I've cleaned, de-cluttered, and sorted is what I call book-dreaming. I've got a couple of stories bouncing around in my head so I've let them simmer as I've gone through this week of playing domestic goddess.

Takeaway Truth

A writer may be working at other things and may be taking a vacation, planned or unplanned, but a writer is hardly ever not working at her craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment