Take A Break & Prevent RSI

I could be the poster child for bad work habits. Years spent typing at a computer have taken a toll on my body. Now I spend a lot of time trying to make better habits like taking frequent breaks to stretch. I also spend a lot of time at the chiropractor and the massage therapist.

Before you get twisted into a pretzel, take a tip from me. Make prevention part of your daily routine.

I just downloaded Workrave, a free program that helps in the recovery and prevention of Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI). The program alerts you to take "micro-pauses, rest breaks and restricts you to your daily limit."

This particular program works only on GNU/Linux and Microsoft Windows so if you operate a Mac, look for a similar app. There are several on the market.

With Workrave, you set your preferences, including timers. When the timer goes off, an image like the above pops onto your screen so you can take a break.

Takeaway Truth

Make technology work for you by reminding you to take care of your physical energy.

1 comment: