Alisa Anderson: Keep A Backup Copy

This morning I'm talking with erotica author Alisa Anderson.

In her own words, Alisa says: "I did stuff and am still doing stuff only now I have two boys crazy enuff to want me as their mommy."

By the way, Alisa has an idiosyncrasy. She doesn’t like to capitalize. She tells me that she likes how lower case letters look visually, but confesses that it's mostly out of laziness.

Thankfully, she overcame her aversion to upper case in writing the guest blog post for you today, but her biography she sent was au naturale.

Alisa says she's waiting for a world full of controllable anatomically correct, android men programmed to meet her specific feminine needs (wink, wink, nudge, nudge with a big waggle of the eyebrows). In her perfect fantasy world, these men are designed to look like The Rock. And Ian Somerhalder. And Idris Elba. But alas, she confides, this apparently exists only in Johanna Lindsey's genius mind.

So, enough of Alisa's delightful rambling. Visit her online if you want to discover some real facts about her. Maybe. *g* Here she is to tell you about the importance of always making a backup.

Find Alisa Online

Alisa's Erotic Romance Novella
Website
Facebook
Twitter

Always Keep A Backup Copy
by Alisa Anderson

So I had just finished making all these fantastic, utterly fabulous edits to my latest novella, give & take, book 2 of the give & receive series. And as wonderful non-Apple computers do, my computer loves to kirk out at the most inopportune time.
 
Between the gremlins and demons currently possessing, make that completely moving in and squatting within my computer and refusing to pay ANY kind of rent, it’s pretty safe to say my computer sucks. Totally. She is a moody, evil, positively hateful creature, with her mind bent on nothing but ill will towards myself and others.

Personally, I think she suffers from incredibly low self-esteem. Why else would she have such a nasty outlook on the world? I have to tell anyone using my computer to be careful how you treat her because she will freeze at any given moment. And she has to be a woman. No man would be this difficult to get into and maneuver. *grins*

Back To My Story

So back to that. Like I was saying, after I made all these million-dollar, best seller changes and edits to my work, as clearly that’s what this novella WOULD have been, the helpers of Satan residing in my computer must have realized the rest of us could hear them casting voodoo spells, conducting numerous séances, and, of course, the never-ending plot for world domination, decided to come to a complete stop. Like ... everything. I couldn’t ctrl-alt-delete; I couldn’t pray to the sun god for rain; I couldn’t sell my left kidney ... all of which I tried. Any Disney character granting wishes was apparently on strike, as none seemed poised to answer my grief-stricken call.

So I paced the floor like an expectant father anxiously awaiting the complication-filled birth of his first child. I too fretted, cried and raged my war against God. I shook my fist; I screamed. I crumpled paper and threw it to the floor for the dramatic visual effect. That’s how I used to imagine it when I was a kid at least. The writer -- with his or her typewriter -- starting and stopping, with crumpled paper strewn about them on the floor. It looked so ... writer-ly. Writer-ish. Writer ... something.

In the midst of all of this, I neglected to notice my computer had quietly rebooted. When I turned around and came back to my desk, there she was.

Sitting there prettily.
Filing her nails.
Smirking.
Mocking me.
My edits and changes completely gone of course.
Lost in the black hole that is currently my literary life.

As I sit here with my head on my desk and my 2 six-year-old boys running around me, serving me Lord of the Flies circa 1954 chanting with spears and a severed pig head (perhaps I am being a shade facetious) my message, the moral of this tragedy is clear and simple.

Always keep a backup copy.

I dunno. And maybe buy a Mac.

Takeaway Truth

Thanks, Alisa, and a message we should all take to heart: make a backup. Frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment