Review: Trust No One by Diana Layne

This week's review of Trust No One by Diana Layne represents the genre which I've been reading lately. Officially, that genre is called Romantic Suspense. Unofficially, I call it Badass Women, and this book is a perfect example.

A year ago I read and reviewed Flirting With Death by Heidi Hall, another good example of the Badass Women genre. I've got several more of these books on my Kindle so I think the genre is growing in popularity.

Maybe because of the rise of ebooks -- and maybe because of the increasing number of women who are pissed off at their jobs, their bosses, their significant others, their kids, the economy, and maybe just the world in general.

Some vicarious butt-kicking from the heroine of the villains-- usually men who have "done 'em wrong" -- may just help women readers keep their sanity. (Of course, I'm a chick who liked The Long Kiss Goodnight starring Geena Davis, a prime example of the Badass Women genre.)

Blurb It

Spy MJ Thornberg survives betrayal of the worst kind as well as a murder attempt and rediscovers her humanity in the form of a baby she adopts. Like many survivors before her, she's "gone to Texas" to discover a better life.

If a small Texas town full of caring, but nosy, citizens, a cute baby, and a job you love  won't cure what ails you, then I don't know what will. (Apparently, the author, fellow Texan Diana Layne, and I share that philosophy.)

Small town tranquility is shattered when Ben, another spy with just as much baggage as MJ, shows up to bring her in for one more job. Ben is the ideal man -- gorgeous, sexy, smart, understanding, kind, and honest. (If I wasn't married to a man like that, I'd think Ben was a myth, but men like that really do exist.)

If you like women who can take a beating like the defunct 24's Jack Bauer and Die Hard's John McClain; classic fast cars described in loving detail; guns where almost all the details are right; rising suspense, and a truckload of sexual tension, then this book is for you.

Takeaway Truth

Hang onto your Stetson and settle in for a fun read!

As is my custom when I review ebooks, I give the Kindle Buy Link because I read most books on my Kindle. However, I'm certain every book I review is available at most ebook sellers so look for them on the platforms that match your ebook reading device. (Want your own Kindle? Click here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment