April Fools

Today is April 1, the 91st day of the year. Of course, we also know that today is April Fools Day.

Got a Good Prank?

Even though the first of April is not a national holiday, it's recognized and celebrated in many countries by people playing practical jokes. Even companies get in the spirit of the day with outrageous hoaxes. For instance, our local newspaper just about always runs something outlandish on the front page.

Great Hoax

Back in 1957, the BBC broadcast a fake film for their Swiss Spaghetti Harvest prank. The film supposedly showed Swiss farmers picking freshly-grown spaghetti. After the report, the BBC were inundated with requests to purchase the spaghetti plant. The next day in the newscast, they came clean and admitted the film was a prank.

Currently, I'm writing a novella entitled April Fool Bride, but there won't be any writing for me on this April Fool Day because I'm headed to the dentist. I cracked a filling, and the tooth is going to have to be crowned.

Takeaway Truth

Although I'd love to yell, "April Fools," right now, I cannot. Unfortunately, my dental tale of woe isn't a prank. It's the truth. Happy April Fool's Day? Hmm. Not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment