Good Life Advice: Slow Down

Last year I made the decision to unplug on the weekends. No tech unless it was fun tech.

Since a year has passed, I thought I'd give you an update on how this has worked out.

Update

The results have been mixed. Circumstances have found me drifting back into the habit of email, Twitter, etc. on weekends despite my good intentions simply because my writing time has been commandeered by tons of life crap that keeps on hitting the fan.

I've been trying to finish Cinderella Blue since last year when we started moving. Then remodeling. Then moving into the remodeled home. Then there are the many family medical crises that also show no sign of stopping.

In other words, I'm living in a state of perpetual overwhelm that makes me feel as if I'm always short of time which is why I slipped back into the habit of working on the weekend.

Take Stock

This morning, I stepped out onto the porch and took a deep breath of the cool morning air. With my morning cup of coffee in hand, I sat there and watched the layers of mist floating above the meadow. I could feel the tension ease.

Slow Down To Move Forward

Viggo Mortensen said: "One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was from a horse master. He told me to go slow to go fast. I think that applies to everything in life. We live as though there aren't enough hours in the day but if we do each thing calmly and carefully we will get it done quicker and with much less stress.

Takeaway Truth

That's a nice reminder of what I was attempting with my weekend unplugging. I'm going to slow down and move forward.

What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment