Meet New Adult Author Susan Sofayov

I'm pleased to welcome a new friend to SlingWords. Grab your coffee and say hello to Susan Sofayov, author of Defective.

About Susan Sofayov

Susan lives in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with her husband, three kids, and the most hated dog in the neighborhood. She has a BA in English Literature and Political Science from the University of Pittsburgh and an MA in Teaching from Chatham University.

Find Susan Sofayov Online

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Defectiveanovel
Twitter: @susan_sofayov
Website: defectivethenovel.com
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/8163117.Susan_Sofayov

Susan Sofayov Tackles Dirty Dozen!

1. In which genre do you write and why that particular genre?

I’m all over the board on genre. Defective is a contemporary New Adult novel. My work in progress is women’s fiction, and I’ve been playing around with a middle grade fantasy novel.

2. What's your most recent book and what's it about?

In this New Adult Romance, law student Maggie Hovis battles an enemy she cannot escape—her own brain. Saddled with the label, drama queen, by her family, she's always been challenged when it comes to controlling her moods. On the verge of losing her fiancĂ©, she takes the drastic step of entering therapy and receives the shocking diagnosis of Bipolar II Disorder.

Thus begins Maggie's journey to discover the secrets hidden in her family tree. Will Maggie's search for truth of the past lead her into fear and insecurity? Will she get Sam back or is Nick, a rekindled old flame, her future? Or will mental illness stop any man from loving her?

3. As an author, what can readers expect when they read one of your books?

Readers should expect to make friends with the characters and be ready to experience the emotional gamut—from smiles to tears.

4. How did you "become" an author? For instance, was there a moment when you said: "I think I'll write a book."

To ward off cabin fever during the blizzard of 2010, I signed up for an online writing class and ended up writing a novel. Prior to that the only thing I ever wrote were grant proposals.

5. What's the best thing about being an author?

I love hearing reactions from readers. Defective is the story of a young woman, learning to live with a mental illness. Many readers have expressed gaining an insight into a family member. A few recognized their own symptoms and sought treatment. I received an email from a reader saying her daughter refused to get help for five years. The daughter read my book and agreed to enter treatment—wow, the feeling was beyond amazing.

6. What's the worst thing about being an author?

That’s an easy question—marketing. I hate marketing. It takes too much time away from writing.

7. Do you have editions of your books available other than ebook editions?

Yes, Defective is available in print and ebook.

8. Do you listen to audio books? If so, what device do you use?

I don’t listen to audio books.

9. What device do you use to read ebooks?

Kindle

10. If you could give one piece of advice to an aspiring author, what would it be?

Get involved with a critique group or online writing community. And conferences are worth every dime.

11. If you could tell readers one thing, what would it be?

Thank you for reading my book.

12. What is your big dream (or goal) as a writer?

To write books that stick in the reader's head.

Buy Defective by Susan Sofayov

Paperback from Amazon OR Kindle eBook from Amazon Kindle

Paperback from Barnes & Noble OR Nook eBook from Barnes & Noble

eBook from KoboBooks

eBook from Smashwords

Takeaway Truth

New Adult is the hot new genre. Have you read one yet? Grab one for the weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Nice interview Susan. I also hate editing and marketing. Good luck with sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan, great getting to know a little about you. I also agree about marketing, it's a real uphill battle. Any great tips you'd care to share? For myself I've found being interactive helps a lot. People are more willing to share if they feel like they've connected with you.
    Jacquie Biggar

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had a great marketing tip, because if I did I would share it.

    ReplyDelete