6 Steps to Get Back on Track

How to get back on track?

That's a question I'm asking myself this morning. I've been away from the office so much since 2015 began (family medical emergencies, sickness, exhaustion from dealing with the aforementioned) that I'm out of touch with what I wanted to achieve this year--out of touch with my work ethic.

Completed manuscripts lie unpublished. Planned projects remain on the drawing board. Now tax returns loom on the horizon. My energy lags, and I'm overwhelmed.

Sitting here with my cup of coffee, staring at the piles of research materials on my desk, and thinking, I've come up with these steps to get back on track.

6 Steps to Get Back on Track
  1. Make a list of everything you wanted to accomplish this year.
  2. Looking at your list, take each item and see what has been done and itemize what remains to be done.
  3. Now look at each items again and think about each--about why you were interested in it in the first place. As you think about it, does your enthusiasm rekindle? Are you getting excited about it again? If you are, put the item on a new list: Revised Goals 2015.
  4. Take your new list--Revised Goals 2015--and look at it again. Re-order the list by priority. You can prioritize by deadline, ease of completion, readiness to proceed, or whatever gets you moving in the right direction.
  5. Rewrite your list again in order of priority. This step is really just to cement it in your consciousness.
  6. Take the first step with your first goal so you get moving in the direction of accomplishment.
Takeaway Truth

Give these steps a try. Let me know if they help.

Authors, subscribe to WritingHacks, my free email newsletter with tips to help you, and receive a special gift.

Readers, subscribe to WordPlay, my free email list, and receive a special gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment