Copyright Registration Quick Tip

I filed an application recently for Copyright Registration on two of my published books. One of the applications was a re-application because of a dumb mistake I made.

Back Story

My first mistake was trying to complete several pending issues during the week my brother in law went into hospice care. One of those matters was copyright registration which I'd put off because I was too busy.

So I raced through the online application, paid my $35.00, and uploaded the file.

My second mistake was the file I uploaded. I just opened my Word .doc file, saved it as a PDF, and then uploaded it to the Copyright Office.

Weeks later, I received an email that my application had problems with it. The problem? The file I uploaded also included an excerpt of my next book.

Proper Upload File Protocol

The file you upload must contain only the actual book text. No excerpts, no note from author, no book list, etc.

I knew that, but I'd been in a hurry.

Here comes my third mistake. I had 45 days from the date of notification to correct the application. However, I was out of town when that email came in. Then with all the promotion I was doing for 2 box sets (Love Blooms on Main Street and Summer Fire) and various personal family emergencies, I completely forgot about the needed correction.

My initial haste and being the "go-to" gal for everything and everyone cost me the original $35.00 because the fee you pay when you file your application is non-refundable.

So I had to pay another $35.00 today to file the application again. Dumb, right? I learned my lesson so I'm passing it on so you won't make that mistake.

1. Create your story-only PDF file first.
2. Proof the application carefully before you click SUBMIT.

Takeaway Truth

Respond in a timely fashion if you receive correspondence from the Copyright Office.

No comments:

Post a Comment