Reviews: 2 Short Stories by Loretta Wheeler

I've been reading a lot of short stories in several different genres. The ebook revolution has been especially beneficial to the short story form. You can now find these in every genre at very low cost.

That's good news for a literary form that once languished with authors who loved the short, succinct form of storytelling bemoaning the lack of markets for their stories. Today I'm reviewing 2 short stories that you might like.

Mischief & Mayhem by Loretta Wheeler is an outside the box mystery. If you're a cat lover, you'll rave over this little mystery that features a best-selling author who is being stalked in a story reminiscent of Stephen King's Misery. Trust me, no author wants fans like the ones populating this story!

Just when you think you know who the culprit is, the author hits a curve ball into left field. You may think you know what comes next, but you'll be surprised again. Luckily for Whitney Chase, the beleaguered author of this story, her two cats have things under control.

If you're a cat lover, you'll buy into the anthropomorphism aspect of this story.

The Pan Man is also by Loretta Wheeler. This short story is a YA (Young Adult) Paranormal Romance. I occasionally read young adult so I can stay in tune with what my sons' older daughters read. I think this story is still a little old for them, but high schoolers and above will identify with the common elements that one sees in TV shows like The 100 and movies like the Divergent series.

In The Pan Man, likable heroine Christy is experiencing the same dream night after night. Since this is paranormal, then it follows that dreams are significant. Throw in a fortune teller, reincarnation, and a fated love and you have a story older teens will love.

Takeaway Truth

Drop by on Thursday when I'll post 3 more reviews of romance novels for Thursday3Some.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for your reviews of my works, Joan. I think you're correct in short stories or novellas having their own special appeal. I used to read them (and loved them)when I was younger, and have since found, I love writing them. I jokingly refer to short stories as frosting. Immediate gratification, for the author and the reader. Sometimes you don't want to wait for a whole cake (or a full novel from an author you love)and something shorter, is just right for both of you :) I hope they keep finding a strong niche with readers and I think they just might. Several authors, such as Patterson and King, do very well with short stories, and you can't get a better group to be associated with than those two :)Thanks again, Joan :) Lo

    ReplyDelete