Summer Lemon Dessert

Real Soufflé But My Fake Looks Similar
Will the rain ever stop? Houston is reminding me of monsoon season in southeast Asia. I remember one September in Okinawa when it poured rain every single day. That was not the good old days.

Cranky Pants

I guess it's a cranky pants day. Especially so when I realized this post wasn't set up to publish earlier today. So I'm in, editing and wearing my cranky pants.

Maybe I need dessert. There's still some left in the fridge. That should put me in a better mood.

I made my favorite lemon dessert that just shouts summertime and sunshine. It's easy to make and all you need besides the basics is one lemon. You'll love this, I guarantee!

Psst. It's really a pudding, but I call it a soufflé. Well, a fake soufflé.

Lazy Lemon Fake Soufflé

Ingredients

· 1 cup white sugar
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 4 tablespoons plain white flour
· 1 lemon
· 2 eggs
· 1 cup milk
· 1 tablespoon melted butter

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Select an ovenproof baking dish that will make a lovely presentation since you’ll be serving directly from the baking dish. Also put on some water to boil for step 6.

2. Grate the rind of the lemon until you have 2 teaspoons of rind. Squeeze the lemon to yield at least 3 tablespoons of lemon juice. In a bowl, mix sugar, salt, flour, rind, and juice.

3. Separate the eggs, putting the whites in a glass or metal bowl, not plastic. (Egg whites won’t beat well in plastic.) In a large measuring cup or small bowl, beat the yolks, milk, and butter. Add this to the flour mixture. Then beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold this into the flour mixture.

4. Pour the mixture into the ovenproof bowl. Set the dish in a larger ovenproof pan. Pour hot water in the outer pan. (This technique is called a water bath, and it keeps soufflés and puddings from burning or getting hard on the bottom and sides.) The water should come up the side of the baking dish holding the pudding about an inch.

5. Bake at 325 for about 50 minutes. You know it’s done when you insert a knife around the sides and there’s no liquid left because it’s all been absorbed.

6. Serves 4-6. This delicate lemon dessert is as light and delicious as any soufflé you’ve ever had, but it’s much easier to make which is why I call it a lazy soufflé. Oh, and it’s good either hot or cold.

Perfect Combo: Dessert & Romance Novel

Whip up this dessert, chill it, and spoon it up while you read one of my sassy, sexy romantic comedies!

Takeaway Truth

Bon appetit! Bonne lecture! (Good Reading)

(Joan Reeves writes funny, sexy Romance Novels. For your consideration, get your flirt on with any of her novels, available at most ebook sellers, with audio editions available at Audible and iTunes. Joan publishes Writing Hacks, a free subscription newsletter for writers, and Wordplay, a free subscription newsletter for readers. Find Joan Online: Blog ~ Website ~ Facebook ~ Google+ ~ Twitter ~ YouTube)

No comments:

Post a Comment