10 Autumn Delights

Although much of the country is already experiencing cold weather, it's been warmer than usual here on the Texas Gulf Coast with only a few scattered days of cooler weather.

This morning though the sky is overcast, and it's distinctly cooler--high 50's. Dare I hope that fall has finally arrived? Maybe. Although I know that autumn in this part of the country comes to visit for a few days then goes away, returning days--weeks--later.

Sometimes we go from summer-like weather to winter in a day! That's when the infamous "blue norther" blows in. I've often thought our blue northers are very similar to the mistral in Provence.

Today, I'm contemplating the many delights of autumn. Here's my list. What would be on your list?

10 Autumn Delights

1-3. Soup/stew/chili. There's just something immensely appealing about a big pot of soup, stew, or chili simmering on the stove and scenting the house with the luscious aromas of onion, tomatoes, garlic, and other vegetables and seasoned meats. We rarely eat these hearty dishes in hot weather, but in the winter we delight in them.

4. Fall cleaning. In early November, I start cleaning out closets and pulling out the holiday decorations. There's something rewarding about clearing out the year's clutter before the year ends. I rarely do spring cleaning, but I always clear the decks so to speak before the holidays.

5. Football. Yes, I'll go on record as enjoying football games--college more so than pro-games. It's a relaxing way to spend the weekend after racing through the business days at a frantic, frazzled pace. Actually, I don't know if it's the game I like so much as snuggling under a soft, plush throw and just unwinding.

6. Naps. I never nap in spring and summer, but there's something about the cooler weather that makes it possible to doze off while the TV drones on and I'm comfortable on the couch with one of my mom's crocheted afghans over me.

7. Fall gardening. With the cooler days, it's a pleasure to enjoy the fall garden. I get it ready for the winter and plan what I'll grow next year. Just being outdoors is a treat in itself.

8. Walk more. I try to walk every morning, but I extend my walks when the weather is cooler. I love the crunch of leaves under my feet and the many colors in the trees. A lot of people think we don't have trees that turn in the fall here on the Gulf Coast, but that's not true. The picture above is my neighborhood.

9. Hot tea. I drink coffee every morning, but on cooler days I enjoy a nice cup of tea about mid-morning. I like to take my mug of Earl Grey and walk over to the lake and sit on a bench--doing nothing but watching the ducks.

10. Read. I guess it's understandable that most people read more when the days are colder and the weather isn't conducive to outdoor activities. When it's raining and cold, I just want to stay home. I curl up in a chair and read a good book.

Of course I'd love it if you wanted to read one of my books.

If you're looking for a cold weather setting, may I recommend Just One Look, Nobody's Cinderella, Scents and Sensuality, or LuvU4Ever. (LuvU4Ever is currently free.)

Takeaway Truth

Whatever you decide to do today, I hope you enjoy it! Have a great Sunday.


Readers, sign up for WordPlay, Joan's Mailing List/Free NL. Writers, subscribe to WritingHacks, Joan's free NL for authors with tips to make your writing business easier.

Connect with Joan Online: Blog * Website * Facebook * Amazon Author Page * Twitter * YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment