If Only I'd Known: Writing Lesson by Paty Jager

I'm happy to welcome Paty Jager, one of my friends from our group blog Smart Girls Read Romance.

About Paty Jager

Paty Jager is an award-winning author of 32+ novels, a dozen novellas, and a passel of short stories of murder mystery, western romance, and action adventure.

All her work has Western or Native American elements in them along with hints of humor and engaging characters.

This is what Mysteries Etc. says about her Shandra Higheagle mystery series: “Mystery, romance, small town, and Native American heritage combine to make a compelling read.”

Visit Paty Jager Online

Paty's Blog, Writing into the Sunset  

Paty's Website 

Facebook * Goodreads * Twitter * Pinterest

Sign up for Paty's Newsletter 

If Only I’d Known: Don't Believe Everything You're Told
by Paty Jager

Thank you for inviting me to give my 2 cents on what I wished I’d known when starting out in the writing/publishing business.

When I first tried to break into publishing, I was writing a mystery book that had been inspired by Sue Grafton’s Alphabet series. The books were told in first person--Kinsey Millhone’s point of view.

I used first person in my female protagonist’s point of view. I sent the manuscript to an agent who told me mysteries weren’t written in first person, but he saw promise in my writing. So, I rewrote the book, putting it in third person. He declined the book.

What I learned from that little episode was to not believe what everyone in the publishing business said. I knew it could be first person because Ms. Grafton had a whole series written that way and she was NYT author. But I let someone who I thought knew the business tell me to change my book.

Later, I was told you couldn’t write books with multiple subgenres.

Those were the books that called to me. So, I wrote them. And while the big publishers would say, “I like your book but I don’t know where to place it on the shelves,” my multi-genre books found a small press who liked them, and they were well received by readers.

It was suggested to me when my books were picked up by a small press that I should self-publish. I felt I didn’t know enough. And who would ever think I was a legitimate author if I self-published?

I wish I had started that journey when I was first approached. My friend who was self-publishing at that time is doing very well now, and because I waited, (went self-publish in 2011) I missed the first big flow of readers who could find your books in the smaller pool of books.

Now, I’m trying to find ways for those and other readers to find me in the sea of self-pub and traditionally pubbed books.

If only I'd known? Don't believe everything you're told by
so-called industry professionals!


Fatal Fall
Book 8: Shandra Higheagle Native American Mystery Series
by Paty Jager

Avarice…Family…Murder

When the doctor is a no-show for her appointment, Shandra Higheagle becomes wrapped up in another murder.

The death of the doctor’s elderly aunt has everyone questioning what happened and who’s to blame. Shandra’s dreams soon tell her she’s on the right path, but also suggests her best friend could be in grave danger.

Detective Ryan Greer knows not even an illness will keep Shandra from sneaking around, and he appreciates that. Her insight is invaluable.

When she becomes embroiled deeper in the investigation, he stakes out the crime scene and waits for the murder to make a tell-all mistake. But will he be able to act fast enough to keep Shandra or her friend from being the next victim?

Add Fatal Fall by Paty Jager to Your Library

 Takeaway Truth

Thanks, Paty, for sharing your wisdom with us. Readers, the weekend is here. Why not grab a great mystery like Fatal Fall for your weekend reading fun?

Carpe diem. Carpe librum! (Seize the day. Seize the book!)

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for having me on your blog, Joan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice, Paty. The problem with counting on "experts" is that in the world of publishing every experience is different and each expert can only talk from his/her own experience. An author has to know herself and believe in her work to get ahead. AND you are an example of that, as well as someone who works hard every day to keep writing and keep your books in reader's hands. Thank you for all the wonderful books you've written and those yet to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, Maggie! I have so many ideas for books, I'll be writing from the grave! LOL

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Maggie! Wonderful comment with so much wisdom in it.

      Delete